Sunday, October 21, 2012

Blog Post #8

Richard Miller: This is How we Dream Parts 1 and 2

Richard Miller: The Schools of Tomorrow is a youtube sensation about how we have evolved in learing, reading, and writing as a culture and around the world. Miller talks about the different types of changes that occurred such as Incramental and Fundamental changes.


During his videos phrases like "How we write, Where we work and How we research graze across the screen. This visual took my mind on sort of a time zap back to 3rd grade and made me compare that time to current times. Miller explains that incremental changes are those like the way we write and research compared to the way we used to write and research. I can remember that third grade was when I really learned how to maneuver and work a computer efficiently. We wrote all of our papers by hand. The only thing that was digital was an overhead projector in my classroom. Everything we accomplished was done by hand. Now having a computer at home is sort of expected and writing papers by hand is not an option.

Miller also talks about visual, sound, and web documents. Visual documents are like magazines and books. Books are becoming more and more outdated, especially in the genre of educational purposes. For example, by the time an encyclopedia is reviewed and published, it takes about two years, by the time its published, its outdated. Web documents are constantly updated and are usually current with times and research done. A lot of companies and magazines have resorted to what Miller calls dual life printing, where they print a visual copy and also create an online copy.

Miller says "being able to share knowledge is infinite through the web." I couldn't agree more with this statement. You can access information from practically anywhere that internet access is available! This is so important when students need to access podcasts from class, or access documents that was emailed by your teacher. He says that teachers should accept that information no longer belongs to individuals but to us as a culture. He also says that the restrictions that are presented with information is often something that we put on ourselves!! I thought that he was reading my mind when he said this. These documents were awesome and it makes me excited to work with digital technology to educate my future students.

Carly Pugh's Blog Post #12

In Carly Pugh's Blog Post #12 she talks about what he teaching philosophies. I thought that her idea of a playlist was awesome. This is definitely something that we as future educators should be thinking about. Knowing what works best for our classrooms as future teachers will be the key for children reciprocating the knowledge that we are issuing. I also loved her video at the end. It really made me question where I was in life and my purpose. It made me want to go start lesson plans and I haven't even learned how to do them yet! Her blog post #12 really awesome and I'm really glad that Dr. Strange realized that all students in edm310 should really view this blog.

The Chipper Series and EDM 310 for Dummies

The Chipper Series and EDM 310 for Dummies are two great videos about EDM 310 and the importance of this class. The video about chipper shows how this class forces students to grow up and learn time management. It reinforces the important aspect of getting rid of burp back education. This class really forces students to learn as they go along because they have to figure it out. These videos made me think about what type of video I would like to to do for this class. I would like to do a video about the little tricks that make edm 310 fun and most importantly more efficient! I would show all of the short cuts that you can take but stress the importance of learning both ways. For example the paragraph break code "< / b >" that we should write after each paragraph can be put into a short cut by simply going in and adjusting the settings. Little shortcuts like these can help edm 310 students in this class as well as save time in the classroom and preparation outside of the classroom. I would entitle this video "10 Shortcuts EDM 310 Purposely Omits" or something like that. Overall, I thought these videos were funny but really informing.


http://jmalpass.blogspot.com/2009/03/evernote-for-education.html
Learn to Change, Change to Learn

Learn to Change, Change to Learn is a youtube video about the world of technology. The arguments made in this video are all head on! This video talks about how schools are sort of shunning technology. They block twitter, facebook and blogging in school computer labs. Using these networks can be distracting I agree, but they can also be educational. In edm 310 we use all of these sources to communicate with Dr. Strange when we have questions and clarification on assignments. Technology is something that schools seem like they don't want to accept but we as future educators should try and push the issue and encourage school systems to look at technology as a benefit instead of a hindrance to
the class room. I diffinitely think that this video shed some light on something that, if not spoken about, is going to harm our school systems instead of hurt them. Our nation complains that other countries are so much more advanced than ours in terms of technology but we are constantly placing restrictions on our students in terms of embracing and using technology. Technology is the present and future of education and we are going to have to learn to accept it.

Scavenger Hunt

Edmodo.com is a website very similar to facebook that I found on the Web 2.0 Tools website. I thought that this would be a great controlled environment online to keep my class informed about changes to the schedule and where students could interact with each when they needed help.
I would use this site to upload the tenative schedule for the year, documents that they would need, and a list of pointers and instructions to help my students with their work. I would also post a daily status informing the students for the plan of the day. This is a great tool to use to keep my students informed on everything that they need to know in class and when things are due soon.

Photopeach.com is a great site to create slideshows, polls and quizzes. The quiz and poll creator is really what drew me in to this site. I thought photopeach.com was awesome and it would be a great benefit for my future classroom. I thought that it would be a great way to create a bell ringer with the quizzes and polls.

I also created a comix @ makebeliefcomics.com. I thought that this would be a creative and fun way to end a class with an educational joke. my comic strip

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ashaunte!
    Great post. We had a lot of the same reactions to the material. I like the picture and I see the ALT and TITLE modifiers are there. The links work and I loved your comic strip! There were a couple of typos, but other than that it looks great to me.
    -L.J. (Laura) Allen

    ReplyDelete